Monday, November 3, 2014

Women in Ministry

Being a Girl in Ministry

I can't actually say enough on this topic.  There are trials, struggles and everything else that is hard or difficult no matter who you are in ministry.  Life is hard.  I am by no means a feminist, I do not believe that "women are just as strong as men", let me tell you!  When there is something super heavy to be lifted I am MORE than willing to let the guys, who are much stronger than I am, do the heavy lifting.  If there is a ladder to be carried, or a septic system to be installed and there is a good section of guys around, go for it guys!  I will make the coffee.

When there is not a guy around to help, or there is a mass amount of work to be done I will jump into my carharts, grab a hat and go to work along side them.  I have been in the trenches, literally, for many many hours of the time I have worked on staff at a church.  I have shoveled poo out of closets (yes I said poo, darn septic systems), I have sunk up to my knees in mud at the bottom of a 15' hole working to screed out gravel to drop in a septic system, I have been covered head to toe in mud and water and yuck many many many times.  Many of my Saturday nights have been a wild party night with me and plunger in the mens room in the church foyer yelling "GOD JUST LET IT FLUSH!"

Now that we have the basics out of the way, there are a lot of things about being a girl in ministry that are really cool.  I have found that many women see things that are harder for us as girls as a negative thing. There are moments where I have seen them as negative too. But most of the stuff that is really hard can be worked out to be the best thing that could have happened.

Many of the men or guys we work with in the ministry world tend to have old world chivalry.  They often want to hold doors, lift heavy objects, have you make the coffee and care about you a little bit more than you might see elsewhere.  The key, the important thing is to LET THEM!  Can I open my own door?  Yup. Can I lift said heavy object?  Yup  Can I lead a ministry?  Can I lead a group of people?  yes, yes I can.   Know when you are a being loved and cared for and know where God has called you to lead.

More to come! I'll "unpack" ( like me christian phraseology here?) more about what I have learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment